Community Coordinator Wanted
The community of Bankview is a vibrant inner city neighbourhood, known for its eclectic mix of housing, proximity to the wonderful 17th Avenue retail district, and amazing city vistas. The volunteer-run Bankview Community Association (BCA) strives to build on community strengths, create opportunities for community connections, and foster an atmosphere of inclusion and diversity, while representing the interests of the 5100 Calgarians who call Bankview home.
The Community Coordinator is responsible for coordinating, supporting and implementing the strategic direction developed by the Board of Directors; and for the overall day-to-day management of the Bankview Community Association. The position reports directly to and is accountable to the Personnel Committee of the nominated Board of Directors.
TERM and HOURS: This is a part-time contract for up to 12 months, based on 16-24 hours of work per week, requiring some set weekday office hours, with the remaining hours flexible each week to be to meet facility needs, i.e. evenings, weekends, and/or work from home.
MEETING ATTENDANCE: The Community Coordinator is required to attend monthly, evening Board meetings and occasionally other meetings as requested by the Board. Main areas of responsibility (and estimated level of effort) include:
Community Relations, Marketing and Communications (40%) –
- Interaction with community residents, businesses, partners and the City of Calgary;
with the Board to address community needs;
- Serve as primary point of contact for the Bankview Community Association; manage community email account
- Maintain and update community website, blog, social media accounts, and newsletter
- Develop and implement a creative approach to promote the facility for rentals; support the marketing of community events
Hall Management and Administration (40%)
- Primary point of contact for facility rentals; arrange viewings; provide information to potential renters
- Complete all rental transactions
- Maintain accurate records and receipts pertaining to Hall rentals; maintain accurate calendar of rentals.
- Liaise with Facilities Manager as required regarding any issues or repairs required for the Hall.
- Maintain and update database of community association members
- Provide administrative support for Board, committees, and volunteers; assist with meeting and event preparation as required.
- Work with Secretary to establish and maintain a records management system.
Programs and Services (20%)
- Research, prepare, and submit various grant applications
- Work with City of Calgary and community based organizations to support their facilitation and delivery of programs, events, and partnerships in the Bankview community.
- Liaise between the Board and resident-led initiatives in the community.
Qualified applicants will:
- Have experience in community programming, marketing, customer service and/or office administration.
- Have proven experience social media, website and administrative experience including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications, Google documents, WordPress and newsletter tools such as MailChimp.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Be bondable
Ideal qualifications include:
- Experience with a community association or nonprofit board
- Graphic design skills
- Residency in Bankview or an inner city Calgary community
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Community Coordinator Posting” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until Monday, September 25, 2017. Only those candidates shortlisted for this position will be notified.